Monday, March 10, 2008

dog bites man

afraid of being late for supper, i hurried from my treehouse down to the central building here that houses the camp kitchen and the eating and sitting areas, as well as the offices. it's a pleasant space with trees growing up from holes cut through the stucco'd concrete floors.

the food was all put away when i got there and the kitchen door was closed, and one of the big white guard dogs that i hear barking at night was lying in front. was dinner finished? i looked back to get a visual cue from the proprietor, who made a key-turning motion as if to say go on in, so i waved thank-you with my head over my shoulder and not looking where i was going and i stepped on the dog where she was sleeping.

so, the dog leapt up and snarled and startled me -- she is a quite big dog with small blue eyes -- and i gave a good yelp myself, loud enough to make the cooking staff poke their heads through the sliding glass serving window that leads to the kitchen. anyways the dog retreated back towards the stove, sullen, and i went through the double doors to get some dinner -- meatballs and rice and grilled tomatoes. it had only been just put into the cooler so they took it out for me and sent me back to the tables while they served me some.

i am a cat person. i can read cats. dogs not so much. anyways what dog would not appreciate an apology? so i went over to the dog -- who was friendly enough this afternoon -- and i reached down to scratch the dog behind the ears as if to say, i'm sorry i stepped on your face previously, genuinely i am. but the dog did not accept my apology. so up! and just as the owner was starting to say something to me, the dog came wolflike down on my extended, articulate left wrist, and shook.

it was not the teeth that hurt so much as the crush of the jaws and after about three seconds when she let go -- it was a she, in my experience only a female would bite like that, dog or human or otherwise -- when she let me go i sort of got all faint and pale for the shock and also for not having had any food since the morning... so i staggered over to the couch and put my head on my knees while the owners iodined me and gave me a juicebox and also sprayed on this turkish probiotic solution they use for treating wounded horses (?? -- this is what the man explained to me in great detail, all the while saying, stay with me... stay with me...).

resting up for the night's attacklife is fun, and many things have happened to me here that i did not foresee. you can't make this shit up.

i am swelling. and bleeding on my iBook. but, as you can see, i can type. and it is funny, deep down, and i can laugh about this, though that may be a brain fever. wait til tomorrow when i exact my revenge. now _that will be a story.